The Department of Medical Imaging is committed to enabling a positive learning and working environment for everyone in our community. We support an integrated approach to addressing learner concerns that champions the principles articulated in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine guidelines on managing disclosures of learner mistreatment for medical students and PGME trainees (residents and clinical fellows).
Temerty Medicine has adopted the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) definition for learner mistreatment which refers to intentional or unintentional behaviours that show disrespect for the dignity of others. This may manifest as unprofessional behaviours, discrimination and discriminatory harassment, or sexual violence and sexual harassment.
Temerty Medicine has established a centralized hub of supports and resources for learners who have witnessed or experienced mistreatment. To learn more about how to discuss, disclose, or report learner mistreatment, you can access resources here:
- For MD Program: https://md.utoronto.ca/student-mistreatment
- For PGME: https://pgme.utoronto.ca/current-trainees/while-youre-training/learner-mistreatment/
These webpages include an online disclosure form through which you can submit disclosures to the Learner Experience Office in an identified or anonymous way.
Within our own Department, our education leadership team are also available to support learners in accessing and understanding the supports and resources available. Our leadership team includes:
- Vice Chair of Education: Dr. Linda Probyn
- Fellowship Director: Dr. Mini Pakkal
- Diagnostic Radiology Residency Program Director: Dr. Rachel Fleming
- Neuroradiology Program Director: Dr. Matylda Machnowska
- Nuclear Medicine Program Director: Dr. Amer Shammas
- Pediatrics Radiology Program Director: Dr. Oscar Navarro
- Undergraduate Program Director: Dr. Robert Moreland
Temerty Medicine will also monitor trends from learner concerns to identify systems-level interventions in partnership with the clinical departments and hospitals that can be implemented to improve the learning and working climate for us all.
The bottom line is that we are here for you, please reach out anytime!