Guidelines for Junior Promotion from Lecturer to Assistant Professor
Fall 2021 Deadline
- Declaration of Intent - Deadline Closed
- Submission Deadline - October 10, 2021
Spring 2022 Deadline
- Declaration of Intent - January 3, 2022
- Submission Deadline - February 10, 2022
The Department of Medical Imaging accepts applications for promotion to Assistant Professor from qualified candidates based on advanced education or sustained commitment to the academic mission two times per year academic year.
All faculty members intending to apply for junior promotion in the fall of 2021, the fall submission deadline for complete packages is October 10, 2021. Faculty members who would like to be considered for junior promotion in spring 2022 are required to declare their intent by January 3, 2021. The submission deadline for complete packages is February 10, 2022.
Prior to initiating your request for promotion to the rank of Assistant Professor, you should meet with the Department of Medical Imaging Chair to discuss your eligibility for promotion.
Once eligibility has been confirmed, please fill out the Assistant Professor Promotions - Intent to Apply form to declare your intent to apply.
Categories for Junior Promotion
Candidates can be promoted to Assistant Professor under one of the following two categories:
- Advanced Degree: If the faculty member, who holds a lecturer appointment, completes a recognized graduate program (or advanced training deemed to be the equivalent of a Master’s program), they may be considered for promotion to the Assistant Professor. The program must have been completed as documented by successful defense of a thesis or awarding of the degree before submission of the request for promotion. It is expected that the candidate will have at least one or two published first author peer-reviewed publications at the time of request for promotion; or
- Sustained commitment to the academic mission: If the faculty member demonstrates a sustained commitment to teaching, research and/or creative professional activity over a period of time as a Lecturer (at least three (3) years following a successful Continuing Faculty Appointment review), they may be considered for promotion to the Assistant Professor rank. An application based on teaching excellence and or creative professional development (CPA) should be supported by a teaching dossier and/or a CPA dossier as applicable.
- Candidate’s detailed letter of request for consideration for promotion addressed to Dr. Alan Moody, Professor and Chair. The letter MUST state which CATEGORY the candidate should be evaluated under.
- Candidate’s letter of support from their Hospital Radiologist- in-Chief.
- Candidate’s letter of support from their University Division Director.
- Two additional letters of support (internal or external) that attest to the candidate’s academic activities (eg. teaching, research and/or creative professional activity).
- Candidate’s initial or updated U of T Academic Job Description
- Candidate’s initial U of T Academic Appointment letter.
- Candidate’s updated Curriculum Vitae: WebCV format is mandatory.
- A Teaching Dossier, including teaching scores and evaluations. Note that this is now a requirement for Junior Promotion applications, per the Operations Manual of the Faculty Appointments Advisory Committee (FAAC), updated August 2017. For information on components of a teaching dossier, please see Appendix B of the FAAC Manual (Please note Teaching Evaluation Scores will be provided by the University Department).
- A CPA Dossier (*optional, if applicable only*)
- Note: Candidates who hold additional appointments in Departments other than Medical Imaging should also submit a letter from the cross-appointing Chief, Chair or Dean in support of their promotion.
Electronic Copy Submission – Instructions for uploading to Laserfiche
- All electronic documents are to be submitted via the Clinical Appointments & MD Promotions from Lecturer to Assistant Professor online Application Form.
- Complete the information requested on the Application form that appears. For the Question – What type of University appointment are you applying for? SELECT – Promotion from Lecturer to Assistant Professor
- Attach all relevant required documents in the appropriate area for Uploading files. Please be sure to name your attachment(s) with the appropriate document name, prefaced by your last name, i.e., Smith_RIC_Letter_of_Support, Smith_Updated CV, etc.
- Submit the form – DEADLINE – October 10, 2021 (Fall) & February 10, 2022 (Spring).
If there are any questions regarding procedures, documentation, or deadlines, please contact Ayethida Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org