International trainees outside Canada or the U.S.

International trainees outside Canada or the U.S.

Eligibility for Licensure

In order to take up an elective at the University of Toronto, candidates must be eligible for licensure by the province’s medical licensing body, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO). 

For applicable CPSO requirements for international medical graduates currently in residency training outside Canada or the United States, click here.

Because CPSO requirements are subject to change, candidates should contact the CPSO directly to confirm these requirements. Please consult the CPSO website

Required Documents:

International trainees who wish to take an elective under the supervision of a University of Toronto postgraduate program director/training program must have the support of an acceptable sponsoring agency (embassy, university, hospital) and submit the following documentation through their sponsoring agency to the Toronto PGME Office: 

  1. Letter from sponsoring agency, indicating its full financial support for the duration of the elective training.
  2. Up-to-date curriculum vitae, including country of birth, date of birth (day, month, year), current e-mail address and citizenship status 
  3. Copy of medical degree (with English translation, where applicable) 
  4. Written permission from current program director at the home university 

Work Permit

In addition to licensure by the CPSO, international trainees (i.e. trainees who are not Canadian Citizens/Permanent Residents) require a Work Permit that is valid for the duration of their elective residency. Those accepted for elective training will receive Work Permit instructions and supporting documentation from the Toronto PGME Office. Elective appointees should allow 6 months for processing/preparation time.